The first mention of a library in Larned is found in an advertisement from an 1879 newspaper, noting that a reading room was provided in the basement of Krouch’s store.
The original Cummins Memorial Library, also located where the library stands today, was opened on January 1, 1915. The three-story red brick and limestone structure housed the city offices, council room, and women’s clubroom for many years.
Planning for the new building, the present Jordaan Memorial Library, began in 1969, and construction started in January of 1973. Our current structure has approximately 11,400 square feet, and houses approximately 39,000 volumes, with access to many more through the addition of interlibrary loan services to better serve our population.